IRVINE, Calif., August 30, 2011 - HID Global, trusted leader in solutions for the delivery of secure identity, today announced the availability of its next generation access control readers and credentials based on the company's new iCLASS SIO technology-enabled (SE) platform. This platform initiates a significant transformation in how secure identity is delivered and managed by introducing technology-independent digital credentials that can be deployed for use on smart phones, microprocessor-based cards, contactless smart cards, USB tokens and related devices.
The iCLASS SE platform is an essential building block in the access control industry's first Near Field Communication (NFC)-enabled mobile identity and access management solutions, now being developed by various HID Global partners. Based on open standards to support a wide array of smart card technologies, HID Global's new access control platform supports iCLASS, MIFARE® DESFire® EV1 and other contactless smart card technologies. It extends physical access control beyond traditional cards and readers to enable deployment of mobile access with digital credentials. To accommodate constantly evolving security challenges, iCLASS SE provides users with the ability to dynamically increase security levels via simple firmware updates and efficiently address future changes in requirements as they occur.
"The introduction of our new iCLASS SIO technology-enabled product line is the tangible result of HID's unique understanding of the access control industry and the partnerships we've formed over the years with users, security consultants, system software developers and OEM manufacturers," said Dr. Selva Selvaratnam, senior vice president and chief technology officer with HID Global. "iCLASS SE also represents a significant milestone in the advancement of our secure identity strategy, because it provides a standards-based platform for implementing exciting new applications for NFC-enabled mobile phones."
HID Global's iCLASS SE access control platform is based on a combination of Secure Identity Object (SIO) technology on the credential side and the SIO Processor™ on the reader side which perform similar functions to traditional cards and readers, except they use a standards-based, technology-independent and flexible identity data structure that provides a new level of security, portability and performance.
SIO digital credentials operate within HID Global's Trusted Identity Platform® (TIP™) framework, which is designed to support a secure and trusted boundary for cryptographic key delivery in SIO technology-based access control applications. The TIP framework facilitates secure provisioning of SIO digital credentials on a variety of credential platforms, including mobile devices, no matter where users are located or how they are connected. SIO digital credentials also support data authenticity and privacy while inhibiting data cloning by binding information to a specific credential for additional authentication and encryption on top of device-specific security. These SIO digital credentials features enable the iCLASS SE platform to improve security in traditional card and reader applications while enabling new market opportunities for carrying secure portable credentials on NFC smart phones and other devices.
HID Global's next generation platform 13.56 MHz smart cards and readers include:
iCLASS SE Readers:
- Feature multi-layered security with a tamper-proof design using EAL5+-certified secure element hardware to protect keys and cryptographic operations for additional identity data security. The field-programmable readers also feature energy-efficient intelligent power management and use recycled content to help attain LEED credits.
- Available in two configurations: iCLASS SIO technology-enabled (SE) readers, and multiCLASS SE™ readers that enable seamless migration by supporting multiple credential technologies including 125 kHz HID Prox, Indala® Prox, AWID and EM4102.
SIO Technology-Enabled Digital Credentials:
- iCLASS SE Cards: Available in 2k-bit, 16k-bit or 32k-bit versions. Users can add a magnetic stripe/barcode and anti-counterfeiting features including custom artwork and photo IDs.
- iCLASS SE Clamshell Cards: Feature an ABS shell construction for durability in harsh environments.
- SIO-Enabled (SE) Cards for MIFARE: Use mutual authentication and data encryption with a 32-bit serial number, and feature securely separated sectors to allow complex applications and enable future expansion.
- SIO-Enabled (SE) Cards for MIFARE DESFire EV1: Available in PVC and Composite PET/PVC construction, they can accept embedded contact chips for logical access and biometric ID systems. Custom programming with Indala formats is also available.
Tools for Developers
Additionally, HID Global has introduced the SIO Processor™ Developer Tool Kit (DTK) for developing products to the iCLASS SE platform. The SIO Processor DTK supports the development of new SE credentials based on technologies including iCLASS SE, iCLASS Elite™ and MIFARE Classic, as well as standard iCLASS to provide compatibility with existing installations or card deployments. Developers have several options for embedding the SIO Processor into new and existing card and reader designs as well as an emerging class of portable digital credentials for NFC-based phones and other platforms.
HID Global's iCLASS SE and multiCLASS SE readers, iCLASS SE, iCLASS SE clamshell, SIO-Enabled (SE) for MIFARE and MIFARE DESFire EV1 credentials are available now. The SIO Processor is available to early access customers. For more information, visit www.hidglobal.com/iclass-se and to download the complete whitepaper visit http://www.hidglobal.com/iclass-whitepaper.